Thursday, October 16, 2008

Singing in Central Park; Backlog - Oct. 16

For the past 12 years I have spent the first weekend in October perusing the St. James Court area of Old Louisville. I’ve performed on street corners, had the best crab cake sandwiches you can get south of Maine, browsed through, and even purchased some of the most incredible art I’ve ever seen. What could bring all of these activities together with such regularity? The Saint James Court Art Show.

I remember the first year I went to the show in 1997. I was a freshman at DuPont Manual High School and studying at the Youth Performing Arts School. The art show is a huge fund-raising opportunity for the school every year because of it’s proximity and abundant parking space for show-goers. We were always out of school that day for an in-service day so it was the perfect arrangement.

I spent my first St. James Art Show with a group of four other singers from my school choir, singing madrigals in Central Park. The money we collected was pooled and added to our fund-raising totals for the day. This year as I remembered those happy high school years singing in the park I noticed how many other street performers have taken up residence at this yearly event. From a barbershop quartet and a Jazz Saxophonist to the littlest violinist I have encountered yet. There was music everywhere you turned which was a fitting sound track to the stunning visuals of art and artists that engulfed your eyes.


The little girl playing violin was concentrating ever so intently on her very slow but dedicated version of “Jesus Loves Me.” When I stopped to take her picture she faltered for a moment. Her mother, who was sitting behind her, urged her to keep playing but this little performer insisted that the”camera was distracting her.” Both her mother and I laughed and I replied that when she became a famous violinist people would be taking her picture all the time. The little girl smiled and started playing “Jesus Loves Me” with all the zeal she could muster.

Among the familiar faces of artists that return each year there were some very impressive newcomers. Among them was a man named Michael Rawson from Ohio. Mr. Rawson carves rocking horses. When I came upon him he was sitting on one of his rocking horses, eating ice cream, and smiling. If there ever was a “real” Peter Pan, I imagine he would look something like this. I was so drawn to him that I asked him right then if I could take his picture, ice cream and all. He laughed and there may even have been a little blush in his cheek, but he heartily agreed.

My last stop was to the Hosey Farms booth for some homegrown, raw honey. I bought my first jar of honey from them last fall and have been hooked ever since. I am especially fond of this honey specifically because it’s produced here in Louisville. If you’re like me and suffer from seasonal allergies this honey is heaven sent. A tablespoon of local, raw honey helps allergy sufferers by exposing them to local pollens in a non-harmful way. This in turn increases your body’s natural defense mechanisms that protect you from those sneezy, itchy eye, snuffly allergy attacks. Plus, Hosey’s Honey simply tastes delicious!
After a long day of looking at art I was certainly ready to find a nice comfy chair to rest my feet. It was another great Saint James Art Show and I can’t wait until next year!

No comments: