Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Trip to the Pumpkin Patch; Backlog - Sept. 30

Sunday afternoons are perhaps the best part of the week. I always find myself relaxing with a good book, preparing for the week ahead, or like this past Sunday spending some quality time with my family. This weekend we all decided to head up to Joe Huber’s Family Farm and Winery for some home-cooking, wine-tasting, pumpkin-picking good times.

Apparently, the rest of Kentuckiana had the same idea in mind for their Sunday afternoon as well! When we got there were bombarded by the cacophony of children running around looking for their perfect pumpkin for Halloween carving, parents chasing said kids, and people generally enjoying the wonderful weather, albeit a little on the warm side.

For those kids who were looking for that perfect pumpkin the choices were endless! There were painted pumpkins big and small, “Freaky” pumpkins which looked as if they had peanuts growing on their skins, gourds of every imaginable variety, and those classic “Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin” pumpkins that every kid dreams about. Pumpkins were everywhere, on tractor beds, in bushel bins, in the market, and people were picking them in the fields. There was surely a pumpkin for anyone and everyone.

Beyond the pumpkin patches there was still more fun to be had. Huber’s Winery is set aside a large lake stocked with Koi, Catfish, Blue Gills, Snapping Turtles, Swans, and a wide variety of Ducks all paitently waiting to be fed by you. So that was our next stop.

I have an affinity for turtles so I spent the majority of my pellets attempting to get out far enough fo them. The only problem was the turtle I was aiming for was significantly slower than the fish or fowl… So it became a team effort! My boyfriend distracted the fish and feathered fiends with his food and I fed the turtle. All the while I’m cheering on this silly reptile, saying things like “Go Turtle, don’t let the Swan get it!” and “You can do it Turtle, just a little farther!”
I’m pretty sure one of the other families on the wharf thought I was a nutcase. In the end, the fish still got more than the turtle but I felt a sense of accomplishment for the what I was able to get to him.

Our last stop of the excursion was Huber’s Winery. If you’ve never had their Spiced Apple Wine, believe me, you are missing out. The wine is the turning point in the year for me. I know summer is over when Huber’s has their Spiced Apple Wine again. They also have a TON of other varieties there, and not just wines, they also have a huge selection of brandys as well. We had a fruit and cheese tray (all of which was made or grown right there at Huber’s) and shared a bottle of the Vignoles, a semi-sweet white wine. It was a great ending to a great day.




Until next time!

No comments: