Sunday, September 14, 2008

"OMG! There's no POWER...!

...What ever will we do with out TV and internet and electronic entertainment?????? Human interaction?!? GASP! NOOOOOOOOOO!"

This has been the general reaction to the power outage that has ravaged our city today. Somewhere around 230,000 households in the Kentuckiana area are without power this evening due to a wind storm that had gusts upwards of 75 mph. It was what Ike had left for us. Gee...thanks Ike, this is what I always wanted.

So now, left to their own devices, people don't know what they're supposed to do. I, of course, have no room to talk. I came to the university so I could write a paper for my online class which is due at 11:59p... because certainly online professors have no pity for people without power. In which case I am not losing 50 points, and if this particular prof. is the exception to the rule, I suppose I've just earned some brownie points. With the necessity of that paper being completed I am here, with power and that happy internet menagerie to keep me entertained. But for those people who didn't venture out on the debris laiden streets the scene is much more dark (literally!)

Maybe when I leave my haven and venture home I will be one of the fortunate few whose power has returned and I won't have to figure out a way to entertain myself in the dark. If I'm not so lucky then it'll either be boardgames or reading, either will be by candle light!

No comments: