Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Wicked Witch?

If you asked the majority of the people in my Magazine and Feature Writing class on Monday night, that's how they would have described our "editor". I say editor because that's how our professo would prefer we acknowledge her. We will be publishing our own legitimate online magazine this semester so we may list on our resume's that we are published writers. (How cool is that!!)

Within the first five minutes of class not only had about 17 people walked out of the room, Prof. Laidman had also professed that she had not given out ANY 'A's last semester. Not promising.

You see, in order to enroll in the class at all you are supposed to have taken Newswriting. This makes complete sense because you have to have a solid foundation in that are to really succeed at writing a good feature piece. So when she stated that if you hadn't had newswriting you would "fail her class" you can imagine the suprise and shock of those people who hadn't had the prerequisite class and were still able to enroll.

Having had newswriting, I stayed back and endured the first class well, I even recieved some accolades on our first in-class free write. (YAY!) It was funny though, as we left the class I overheard a couple of my remaining classmates refer to as "our own personal wicked witch"... I don't know though. She is certainly intimidating, blunt, and straight forward, but in my opinion that is the embodiment of a good editor. I'm excited to see how far she can push my writing skills and what the rest of the semester holds!

Once our mag. is up and running I'll post a link on my profile to anyone who's interested. :) We'll also have our own "beat" blogs so you can check that out as well!

Here's to an awesome semester!

No comments: